Eye of Newt

So last Saturday at dinner, I told a friend that "I never get sick; and I don't even need to knock on wood when I say that." Well, perhaps I should have done at least one knock - just to make sure. Yes, it's true: I'm sick. My eyes are on fire, my head going to burst, my joints ache a bit, and my skin feels considerably more sensitive than usual. It is in times like these that I question whether the superstitions of ages past - and even of the present - merit the skepticism that we give them.

So I'm sick. And I don't think that Airborne really works. I think it's all whooey, actually. I've drunk that stuff like six times since yesterday, and I still feel just as bad, if not worse, than I usually feel during a cold. I would bet that all the extra vitamins just pass straight through the body and are disposed of. Now, if Airborne does nothing, then is one superstitious if he takes it and swears to its efficacy? Are we still in the dark ages where witches brews could cure even the most obscure and deadly of ailments? I think so. I like to think it's all in the mind. The witch (or hag) has been replaced with a grade-school teacher, and the brew comes in a tablet. You don't have to hike to the deep, dark center of the enchanted woods to get it, but you have to tread the equally perilous grounds of Wal-Mart. Maybe I should go find some enchanted woods...

Comments

  1. I'm not going to lie about the situation- I've been one to say that I never get sick as well... but I think it's all karma- the minute you say NEVER- it happens... dun dun dun...
    anyway...I know what it's like to be sick... no fun at all... start feeling better soon- OK?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the comparison of a gradeschool teacher and a witch-- I'm sorry you're sick and amazed that you came to the dance feeling like that. Hope you woke up feeling a bit better today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Placebos are effective 30% of the time... I suppose Airborne might do something for someone... feel better, Fomite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the comments... It's true that it's all karma. I guess my faith was useless when I said "never". And gradeschool teachers can be witches - mine was. Well, on Halloween my second grade teacher was a witch. Nice lady though.

    And you, Nicole. You call me a fomite! Remember your facebook status? I do. You said "nicole is not afraid of the fomites". I said (to quote yoda), "you will be... you will be..."

    Fomite: "inanimate object capable of transmitting infectious organisms to a host, eg, soiled bed linens, diapers, tissues and handkerchiefs, hospital ..." So I guess I'm just a dirty diaper, or soiled bed linens. You will be afraid, Nicole. Heh...heh...heh...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dizzy and Blindfolded to Walking a Tightrope

Halted beginnings