Cool Video About the Brain Hemispheres

So what do you think?


The thought that came to mind is that maybe some schooling tends to suppress the right brain - the intuitive side. I'm studying engineering, and sometimes it becomes difficult to break free from the ultra-rational method of thought and come to an understanding of things in their relationship to one another. Perhaps the flaw with education is that it tries to institutionalize the learning of intuition. Isn't the only real way to understand the world to experience it? Doubtless, there is great value in learning the concrete and compartmentalizing information, but maybe we have tried to shift learning into a spot where it can do both but have only ended up teaching neither adequately.

Lately I've become aware of a decreased ability to understand concepts. It has gotten worse over the years of my schooling. Granted, there is the possibility that the material is simply harder to comprehend, but that doesn't explain the more general feeling of a cloud or veil that "shrouds" (for lack of a better word that isn't a Discovery Channel cliche) my ability to think clearly. Hopefully, my intuition has not be educated out of me.

Just a thought. Feel free to disagree. And as a disclaimer, this obviously does not apply to all education.

Comments

  1. I always get so into the mind bubbles and references (Shakespeare, John Keats, etc. made an appearance in that video) that I think that I sometimes miss the larger messages of those RSA videos - which ironically is totally appropriate to the theme of the Brain Hemisphere video.

    I actually agree about the ability to grasp things conceptually over time, though that has been an issue of mine since I was in high school in relation to the math and science branches of learning.

    Part of the reason I loved being a liberal arts major was that the concepts (the right brain things according to our British friend) were the things that mattered. I ignored (both unconsciously and consciously) the left brain material. Now I find that the minutiae that I am supposed to know doesn't stick. I have to look up the rules of grammar over and over because I was so lost in just getting my point across all those years ago.

    I'm sure your intuition is still there. It just hasn't been given a chance to play in awhile. We just need to find something that you are passionate enough about to let it loose or get you to graduation - whichever comes first.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dizzy and Blindfolded to Walking a Tightrope

Eye of Newt

The Faith of a Pumpkin Seed